Friday, March 6, 2015

A Scandalous Interview


Although my focus is cozy mysteries I read all sorts of books in a variety of genres. Today I'd like to welcome Amanda Mariel to Cozy Up With Kathy. Amanda writes historical romances.



Kathy: Scandalous Endeavors is set in mid-eighteenth century England. What made you decide upon this time period?

AM: I am a long time fan of historical romance set in the Regency and Victorian periods. I love the decorum of that time period. The idea of cravats, fancy frocks, carriages, and balls is very romantic. When I started writing Scandalous Endeavors it seemed natural to use the Victorian period as the setting.


Kathy: Historical romances require an extra special brand of research. What's your favorite method to research this time period?

AM: I spend countless hours on my laptop searching Google for articles and blogs about the time period. I also get help from fellow authors and friends. But my favorite method of research, is curling up with a great book on the time period I am writing about. Reading something written by someone who lived during the time period paints a vivid and enjoyable image.


Kathy: What is your favorite historical period to write about?

AM: I love so many historical time periods, it is hard to choose a favorite. My current work is in the Victorian period, but I also love the Regency and Medieval periods.


Kathy: What historical period have you not yet written about, but would like to?

AM: I would love to write in the Regency and Edwardian time periods, but I plan to tackle the Medieval time period next. I think the Georgian period would be fun to write in as well.


Kathy: What first drew you to romances?

AM: I wanted something new to read, and a friend of my mom’s offered to loan me some of her books. She loaned me a few Johanna Lindsey historical romances. I was hooked from the first page and went on to read every historical romance I had time for.


Kathy: Do you write in any other genres?

AM: No. I love historical romances, and plan on sticking with them.


Kathy: Tell us about your books.

AM: I am working on my Ladies and Scoundrels series at the moment. It is set in the Victorian time period, and centered on strong willed ladies and handsome rouges.

Book One: Scandalous Endeavors is available now. It is Lady Amelia’s story. She finds herself alone after the death of her parents, and under her American Uncles chaperonage. He wants her to move to America, but Amelia has other plans. She is determined to acquire an English husband. When a Scottish lord shows up she is forced to reevaluate her plans and her heart, but what choices will she make? You can pick up a copy of Scandalous Endeavors at most eBook retailers, and find out what happens to Amelia.

Book Two: is titled Scandalous Arrangement, and is planned to be released early this summer (2015). It is Lady Sara’s story. Readers met her in Amelia’s book for the first time. Unlike Lady Amelia, Lady Sara has no desire to marry, unless it is for love. She is far more concerned with her freedoms as a woman and her education. Lord Luvington, an English marquee who is in line for a dukedom, has other plans. He has set his sights on Lady Sara, and is determined to have her. But will Lady Sara accept Lord Luvington? Will she fall in love? Look for Scandalous Arrangement this summer to find out.


Kathy: Do you have a favorite character? If so, who and why?

AM: I have many characters that I love, but not a favorite. I adore the Malory series by Johanna Lindsey, and all of the characters in it. The men were sexy and witty, the women strong and determined. This series was, and still is one of my favorites of all time. I have also always been fond of Rhett Butler and Scarlet O’Hara from Gone With the Wind and Scarlett. I have read both of these books more than once. As for my own characters-each one is dear to me. They are my creations, and I love them. That said, Lord Goldstone from Amelia’s story, was a ton of fun to write. He turned out to be devilishly charming.


Kathy: Did you have a specific inspiration for your book?

AM: No. I just knew I wanted to write in the Victorian period. I had the first scene in my head. After that scene was written the rest of the story came to me, and I went with it.


Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?

AM: I began writing with my end goal being to have my work published. For me it was not an option. If I was going to do it, I wanted to do it all the way.


Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

AM: Johanna Lindsey, Jane Austin, Christi Caldwell, and Diana Gabaldon. Really, only four? Can I sneak in a few more? Maybe just one? I want Meara Platt and Eloisa James there too! These are some of my favorites, and all of them are very talented. I would love to talk with and learn from them.


Kathy: What are you currently reading?

AM: My Fair Lily by Meara Platt. It is part of her farthingale series, and I’m thoroughly enjoying it.


Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

AM:  When I am not reading or writing, I like to crochet, travel, practice my photography skills, and spend time with family. Some of my favorite places in the continental U.S. are Harper's Ferry West Virginia and Sea Brook New Hampshire. I’m inspired by history, and seek out historical places every chance I get. I enjoy going to museums, touring historical homes, and visiting historical places, like battle fields and towns.


Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

AM: Mac-n-cheese, wild cherry Pepsi, milk, and acia juice


Kathy: Do you have plans for future books?

AM Yes. I am currently working to complete book two in the Ladies and Scoundrels series: Scandalous Arrangement. After that, I plan to finish writing Once A Lady, my medieval romance which I hope to have release in December 2015. I have several ideas to keep me busy into the future. Including a Regency romance based on a bet.


Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being an author?

AM Connecting with fans! I love when people who have read my work reach out to me on social media and email. Their reviews always make me smile J

15 comments:

  1. Amanda Mariel is a new author for me, and I will check out her books. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read her book scandalous endeavors and it is a very good book wonderful story! I look forward to reading her future works!!

      Delete
    2. I am so glad you enjoyed Scandalous Endeavors, bevieann! Thank you for stopping by and checking out the interview :)

      Delete
  2. I love historical romance reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are my favorite genre, Pernella! Thank you for stopping by and checking out my interview :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Amanda. I'm looking forward to your upcoming books. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for your next book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for saying that, Robyn! Look for book two in the Ladies and Scoundrels series this summer :)

      Delete
  5. Scandalous Endeavors just got added to my TBR list!! It sounds so good. Thanks for the spotlight on Amanda Mariel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for adding Scandalous Endeavors to your TBR pile, amreade! I hope you love it :)

      Delete
  6. Trying to comment again ! I was also introduced to historical romance by Johanna Lindsey ohh and a lot of Barbara Cartland too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Crystal! Thank you so much for stopping by! I have never read Barbara Cartland, but will remedy that right away :) I am off to search out some new books :)

      Delete
    2. OMGosh I think she has a million books out lol , they are always short sweet books . I was like 9 so I was allowed to read hers hehehe

      Delete
    3. I picked one up to try! Thank you for recommending her :)

      Delete