Friday, February 7, 2014

Welcome Back to Key West-An Interview with Lucy Burdette

I'd like to welcome Lucy Burdette back to Cozy Up With Kathy. She first appeared here last May. (You can check out that interview here.) Her latest Key West Food Critic Mystery, Murder with Ganache, was just released this week.


Kathy: Like Hayley Snow’s mom, I too am a Hayley Mills fan. Three of my favorite Hayley Mills films are The Moon-Spinners, The Trouble with Angels, and Summer Magic. (I just couldn’t limit my choices!)  Are you a fan? If so, do you have a favorite Hayley Mills movie?

LB: How funny Kathy--I would say my favorites were THE PARENT TRAP and THAT DARN CAT! But more than me being a fan, in MURDER WITH GANACHE I wanted to show Hayley's mom's cheerful nature and optimism, and how she thought about life and her daughter. And how these traits brought immediate conflict with Hayley's dad...
Kathy: Hailey consults a tarot reader. I own several tarot decks, although I haven’t practiced reading them in years. Have you had your cards read? Do you own any decks yourself?

LB: I did buy a deck once I realized that there would be a recurring character who was a tarot card reader. Every night in Key West, to celebrate the sunset, street performers and tourists gather in Mallory Square, which is at the very tip of the island. One of the regulars is Ron, a tarot card reader. Once I spotted him in his vest and turban—of course I couldn’t resist a reading. And I couldn’t resist developing a character who looks and acts like him, although I've changed his name to Lorenzo. I also took him to lunch when I was writing TOPPED CHEF--he gave me so many wonderful details about the island!
Kathy: The Key West Food Critic covers are always so tropically inviting. Do you have any input in their design?

LB: Here's the thing--I consider myself sooooo lucky to have these artists working on my covers. I think they are all gorgeous! About a year before a book's publication date, my editor asks me if I have ideas for the cover art. I always do--I collect photos for each book on a Pinterest board, knowing that these will be useful when the publisher has the cover conference. Here's my board for MURDER WITH GANACHE. If you look over the photos, you'll see that the house on the book cover is exactly what the Hemingway House looks like. http://www.pinterest.com/robertaisleib/murder-with-ganache/
Kathy: Before writing about a food critic, did you read and/or follow any food critics? Did you ever want to be a food critic? Did that change after writing about Hayley?

LB: I love the Wednesday food section in the New York Times, especially the reviews by Frank Bruni when he was their food critic. I also have enjoyed Ruth Reichl's books. What I've realized so clearly the more I read is that while I love food and eating, I would not enjoy the life of a critic. I like to eat what I like to eat:), not what I think others want to hear about. And there are places I simply won't go--like tentacles! And eating out two or three times a day would get old quickly--not to mention being fattening.
Kathy: Was there a specific inspiration for Murder with Ganache?

LB: This book is a lot about family. Hayley's best friend is getting married and all of Hayley's family is coming to Key West to help celebrate. I tried to think of a situation that might escalate the tension--and came up with the combination of a surly teenage boy and spring break in Key West. Lethal! I also enjoyed including some police procedure details from the Citizens Police Academy class I took last spring. In the end, the book is about finding and embracing your family in whatever form it takes.
Kathy: Are you able to share any future plans for Hayley?

LB: I'm working hard now on finishing the book that will be out in December 2014. It will be called SEASON'S GRIEVINGS. A new chef in town asks for Hayley's help in identifying who is making mischief in her kitchen, and of course, things spiral out of control. It's set against the magical season of Christmas on the island.
Kathy: A new interview section-this or that. Pick one of the 2 choices given.
Kathy: Library or Bookstore 
LB: OH BOOKSTORE!
Kathy: Expositional or Continuing Story 
LB: I LOVE CONTINUING CHARACTERS--THEY'RE LIKE OLD FRIENDS

Kathy: Editing or Marketing 
LB: BOTH SUCH FUN AND SUCH A CHALLENGE

Kathy: TV or Film 
LB: THE BIG SCREEN

Kathy: Chocolate or Vanilla 
LB: VANILLA CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE ICING?

Kathy: Mountains or Beach 
LB: GOTTA GO WITH THE BEACH, AS I'M LIVING ON AN ISLAND

Kathy: Tea or Coffee 
LB: CAFE CON LECHE

Kathy: Cats or Dogs 
LB: ONE OF EACH?
Kathy: Summer or Winter 
LB: SUMMER, SHE SHUDDERS

Kathy: Normal or Paranormal NORMAL
LB: Vampire or Werewolf AFRAID OF BOTH

Kathy: Cake or Cupcake 
LB: CAKE, THE CUPCAKE CAN BE A LITTLE DRY


Lucy Burdette (aka Roberta Isleib) is the author of 12 mysteries, including the latest in the Key West series featuring food critic Hayley Snow. Her books and stories have been short-listed for Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity awards. She's a past president of Sisters in Crime.

facebook: www.facebook.com/lucyburdette
twitter: www.twitter.com/lucyburdette
pinterest: www.pinterest.com/robertaisleib
website: www.lucyburdette.com
--
Roberta Isleib writing as Lucy Burdette
MURDER WITH GANACHE coming February 4
Pre-order right here
Follow Lucy on Twitter @LucyBurdette
Or "Like" her on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment