Sunday, September 15, 2013

Scrap This-Interview with Christina Freeburn

I'd like to welcome Christina Freeburn to the blog today. Christina writes the Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery series. Designed to Death, the second book in the series, was just released September 10th. For those who must read their mystery series in order (like me) Cropped to Death was the first book in this series.

Kathy: I've enjoyed a few visits to West Virginia, the Morgantown, Weston area, and truly enjoyed my time there. What makes West Virginia the perfect setting for your series?

CF: West Virginia just has this “way” about it where it’s a part of who people are here. It feels like its own person, not just a place. It’s a unique blend of small-town life with “big city” dreams and ideals. I can have the small-town feel I wanted for this series but also bring in elements of bigger city life.

Kathy: People have been saving pictures and recording family histories for centuries. How did you discover scrapbooking?

CF: I attended a class taught by a Creative Memories consultant. I loved how it combined storytelling and photographs.

Kathy: I engage in several forms of paper arts, primarily cardmaking. Although I'm not a scrapbooker I know we use many of the same techniques. What's your favorite scrapbooking technique?

CF: Right now, I like inking edges to give dimension to embellishments.

Kathy: What first drew you to cozy mysteries?

CF: Since I was in elementary school, I read mysteries. I liked books where justice prevailed and found I loved the mix of seriousness and humor that’s in cozy mysteries.

Kathy: Do you write in any other genres?

CF: I also write inspirational romantic suspense.

Kathy: Tell us about your series.

CF: Instead of finding adventure when she joined the military, Faith Hunter found a con man and returned home carrying a secret which could destroy her family. Knowing how it feels to be wrongly accused of a crime, and how much one person can make a difference, Faith feels obligated to help others in the same position.

Kathy: Do you have a favorite character? If so, who and why?

CF: I can’t pick a favorite character. It’s too hard and I’m afraid the others might stop “talking” to me if I say I like someone more.

Kathy: Did you have a specific inspiration for your series?

CF: For this series, it’s the hobby of scrapbooking and West Virignia.

Kathy: What made you decide to publish your work?

CF: Since I was in high school, I wanted to be a published author. Writing is a part of me, and to me part of writing is getting published so others might read my book(s).

Kathy: If you could have a dinner party and invite 4 authors, living or dead, in any genre, who would you invite?

CF: Edgar Allan Poe, Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, and Arthur Conan Doyle

Kathy: What are you currently reading?

CF: Right now, I’m actually between books. I just finished one and am having a hard time finding one that “fits”. When I’m working on a cozy I try to read something different. Though, I am kind of reading the Passporter Disney Cruise book. I’m working on a scrapbook album for a trip and looking up the names of some of the dishes we tried (as I have pictures of the food).

Kathy: Will you share any of your hobbies or interests with us?

CF: Scrapbooking, photography, quilting, and I recently discovered I enjoy making diecuts with the Cricut and it’s slowly becoming an actual hobby. I have a collection of “cuts” in a drawer waiting to be added to a page or card.

Kathy: Name 4 items you always have in your fridge or pantry.

CF: Milk. Cheese. Yogurt. Jelly.

Kathy: Do you have plans for future books either in your current series or a new series?

CF: I’m writing the third book, Embellished to Death, in the Faith Hunter Scrap This mystery series, and have a few chapters and brief notes for another series I’d like to write.

Kathy: What's your favorite thing about being an author?

CF: Meeting readers.

Interested in learning more about Christina Freeburn? Check out the following links!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/christina.freeburn
Twitter: 
https://twitter.com/christinafreeb1
Goodreads: 
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5315723.Christina_Freeburn
Website: 
http://www.christinafreeburn.com/
Blog: 
http://theselfrescueprincess.wordpress.com/

2 comments: