Sunday, June 2, 2013

I Can't Keep Up, But I'll Keep Trying!

So many books, so little time. This subject keeps recurring so I thought I'd touch on it again and look at some reasons why I can't keep up as well as some series I'm reading.

There are so many wonderful cozy mystery series out there with more being published each month. There's no way I can keep up, although I will try. Although I am an avid reader who reads at a decent pace, with work and multiple activities I have a limited amount of time in which to read. I generally read a book a week. Some books take less time for me to read, others continue on for longer than a week, each for various reasons. I admit I could use Goodreads for an accurate accounting, but I rarely put in the books I read on the day I actually start them...or finish them, for that matter. Still in all, about a book a week. That's 52 books a year-and that's not much, especially with all the wonderful new books out there as well as books you want to read again!

Books in a series used to be published once a year. In a way that was horrible; having to wait a whole year to find out what happens next, especially if the  author left you with a bit of a cliffhanger. While some series still only publish once a year, many series have books coming out 2-3 times a year. That's wonderful, but it makes for more books to fit into your reading schedule.

I looked at Stop You're Killing Me which lists the new mystery releases for each upcoming month. At least 12 cozy mysteries are scheduled to be released. (There could be more, I just counted books I knew to be cozies.) If I'm reading about 4 books a month...well, you see the problem.

I mainly read cozy mysteries, but I read other books as well, romance and non-fiction primarily. I've been neglecting these other genres as I try to read cozies. So, how do I decide what to read?

The first thing I do is read for this blog. I've been lucky enough to participate in several book tours recently. Although I mainly do interviews I feel it's important to read the books being promoted as well. I must confess...I haven't read all of them. I do my best to read these books. In some cases I've been fortunate enough to receive books from the publisher or author. I've also been lucky enough to win some books from authors and other bloggers. These are just some of the series I've read and enjoyed because of the blog: The Consignment Shop Mysteries by Duffy Brown, the Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Series by J.J. Cook, and the Ashton Corners Book Club Mysteries by Erika Chase.

Obviously I was reading and enjoying cozies long before the blog. There are some long running series that I had been keeping up with...until I suddenly discovered I was behind. The Aunt Dimity Series by Nancy Atherton, the Needlecraft Mysteries by Monica Ferris, and the Tea Shop Mysteries by Laura Childs, are prime examples.

There are other series I love, but am behind only a book or two. I intend to catch up. So sorry Lorraine Bartlett and the Victoria Square Mysteries (but I am caught up with you as Lorna Barrett and the Booktown Mysteries!). Cleo Coyle, I'm oh so close, but not caught up with The Coffeehouse Mysteries, I'm also one behind in The Scrapbooking Mysteries by Laura Childs (I thought I was caught up, but just checked, nope.)

I recently did catch up with a few series...I think...who knows, at this point I could be behind again! I'm caught up (for the moment) with Laura Levine's Jaine Austen Mysteries and the Mrs. Murphy Mysteries by Rita Mae Brown.

Some series I discovered late; reading the first in the series in some cases years after it first appeared. I'm now trying to catch up. That's the case with the Domestic Diva Mysteries by Krista Davis.

Sometimes I see a new book, the first in a new series, and get so thrilled. Sometimes I'll catch the second as well, but don't manage to keep up with the series, even though I really enjoyed the books. I get too busy reading other books, don't readily come across the next book I need to read in the series, or get distracted by the next shiny "first in a new series" book. Here are a few series I thoroughly enjoyed , but am way behind in: A Piece of Cake Mystery Series by Jacklyn Brady, A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery Series by Virginia Lowell, and the Mystery a la Mode Series by Wendy Lyn Watson.

There are also books I've heard about and want to start, but haven't gotten around to them yet. The County Cork Mysteries by Sheila Connolly, the Pawsitively Organic Mystery Series by Liz Mugavero, the Memphis Barbeque Mysteries by Riley Adams, and the Soup Lover's Mysteries by Connie Archer are just some of the ones I want to read!

With social media, bloggers, newsletters from authors and publishers I also read about upcoming books-including those tempting first books in a new series. There are several books I know I want to read: The Hat Shop Mystery Series by Jenn McKinlay (August 2013), the Food Lovers' Village Mystery Series by Leslie Ann Budewitz (August 2013), and the Merry Muffin Mysteries by Victoria Hamilton (September 2013), are but a few.

I do, however, have three favorite current cozy mystery series. I am actually caught up on all 3, I eagerly await the next release in each and intend to buy them as close to the release day as possible. I am unable to say which is my favorite...I can't rank them in any way, other than they are my top 3. Listed in alphabetical order (by the author's last name) they are: The Witchcraft Series by Juliet Blackwell, The Bibliophile Mysteries by Kate Carlisle, and the Magical Cats Series by Sofie Kelly.

These are just a few of the series I read and love. There are lots more that I try to follow. Obviously, I'll never read everything I want to read, but I'll sure have fun trying!

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you're talking about!!! I am so behind on reading ofany kind, and especially so with my cozies. I need to stop looking at new releases, but then I'll look back and think, "How did I miss that?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is impossible to ever read everything I want to read. I do read about 20 books a month, but writing reviews and reading blogs also takes a lot of time. And without blog reading, where would I get my ideas for new authors/series? I really love interacting with authors and booklovers on Twitter and Facebook, so I am not giving that up either. Perhaps when we are enjoying our well deserved pension, we have time to catch up ...

    ReplyDelete