Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Currently Reading...

I'm currently reading Utopian Communities in America, 1680-1880 by Mark Holloway. This book is not a cozy mystery, instead it's a work of nonfiction about a unique interest of mine. Yes, I'm enthralled by Utopian societies of the mid 1800's. This book starts a bit earlier and discusses many different groups from Labadists, Ephrata, and Rappites to New Harmony, Fruitlands, and Oneida. Of course, the book talk about Mother Ann Lee and the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing...otherwise known as the Shakers. I find this topic totally fascinating and I'm excited to learn more.

I think it would be wonderful to have cozy mysteries set in these communities! I do know of one. Deborah Woodworth wrote the amazing Shaker Mysteries. The series is set in the 1930's, as the Shaker Movement was declining. It should be noted that while the movement declined dramatically there is to this day an active Shaker Community. It's located in Sabbathday Lake, Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment