Sunday, May 12, 2013

Reagan Summerside Talks Weddings




Hi Reagan Summerside here to talk weddings. The good, the bad and the deadly

You know that old saying, always the bridesmaid never the bride, well I’ve been both. The bride part didn’t take proven by the fact that I caught Hollis, my husband and the hound of Savannah, doing the horizontal hula with Cupcake right there in his office. That was some staff meeting, all right.

The last wedding I attended I came to deliver a bowtie to the groom as he misplaced his. The good part of that wedding was the cake was delicious. The deadly part was that the groom wound up dead in five tiers of icing and fondant, the ugly part was that my BFF, Chantilly, the groom’s ex got accused of the murder.


Round tables decked out in peach-tone wedding linens with white flower arrangements of roses and forget-me-nots dotted the room and Doreen-the-wedding-planner lay crumbled in a heap on the floor.

“Oh dear Lord!” I starting for Doreen but stopped in my tracks because Simon was there too. He was face down in his very own five-tiered wedding cake with a silver cake knife sticking out of his back.

Chantilly shouldn’t have been at the wedding in the first place of course but she and her UPS truck just sort of wound up there.

“You shouldn’t be here,” I said to Chantilly as she swiveled round in the driver’s seat of her UPS van. White icing and cake crumbs smeared her lips and a glob of raspberry filling dripped down her chin. A pink butter cream rose stuck to the front of her brown uniform blouse. “Dear God in heaven! You went and ate the wedding cake!”

“One slice,” she mumbled around a mouthful. “Who’s going to miss one little old slice? The freaking thing is five tiers high. It took three Cakery Bakery employees and the owner Delta Longford herself to lug it in. They even made GracieAnn Harlow stand on a ladder to get the bride and groom thing on top.”

Chantilly held up a chunk of mangled pastry. “This here should be my wedding cake, except for the pink roses. This should be my wedding day, my wedding colors of creamy-peach and blue-morning-rain. Simon is my man. We were engaged! How could he marry someone else!” Chantilly wailed, a tear sliding down her cheek and cutting a path across a white icing smear.



Hopefully none of the weddings you’ve attended were like this one with the groom dead as Lincoln right there in his own cake.

What do you think is the best part of a wedding? The cake? The first dance? The saying I Do? What are your favorite wedding colors? Favorite locations…destination weddings, church weddings, garden weddings?

Let me know and I’ll give away two Killer in Crinoline tote bags from the answers.

Hugs, Reagan



7 comments:

  1. Thanks Reagan for filling in for me today. To my readers: be sure to pick up Duffy Brown's latest Consignment Shop Mystery, Killer in Crinolines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank! This is book two in the series. Come meet the other Bruce Willis.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! Nothing more fun than wedding...except the on in in Killer in Crinolines where the groom is facedown in five tires of icing and fondant with a cake knife in his back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me the best part of the wedding is seeing the bride walk up the aisle to her groom. I have only been to church weddings but a garden wedding would be very nice and I have no favourite colours. I will be adding your books to my Goodreads list to be read.
    Cindy in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have been with my bloke for 20 years now, engaged for about 7 and still no sign of a wedding so can't comment from a brides point of view! The weddings I like best are short ceremonies, and big parties after with lots of food, drink and of course cake!! Families getting together and lots of kids running around. People spend far too much money, the day should be about the couple in my opinion!!

    Trish from Sheffield

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the most emotional part of a wedding is the vows. But I love watching the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the best part is watching the bride come down the aisle on her father's arm.
    suefarrell.farrell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete