Sunday, April 14, 2013

Review - A Murder at Rosamund's Gate

Enter the world of 17th century London. It's gritty, it's harsh, it's not cozy. A Murder at Rosamund's Gate is a wonderful mystery, but it's definitely not a cozy mystery. However, if you want a fascinating story with interesting characters and a heavy dose of realism, you've come to the right place.

In Murder at Rosamund's Gate we're introduced to Lucy Campion. Lucy is the chambermaid at the residence of the magistrate. Life is not easy, but she and her fellow servants are fortunate to work in a household that treats them well. The city is not so forgiving. A woman is found murdered and all too soon the magistrate's lady's maid is found murdered as well. Lucy vows to seek justice for her friend while trying to save a loved one accused of the crime and avoid the perils of London in the 1600s, including the plague!

Susanna Calkins pulls no punches when she describes Lucy's world. From the dumping of chamberpots to dog baiting and the treatment of prisoners, we witness it all. A Murder at Rosamund's Gate is not a cozy mystery, nor is it a "typical" murder mystery where a murder occurs and or protagonists goes out looking for clues to solve the murder as quickly as possible. Indeed an entire year passes in the course of this book. That being said I find it to be a great story imbued with historical accuracy, a mystery, and a touch of romance. I loved it!


A Murder at Rosamund's Gate  * * * * *
The Lucy Campion Series   Too early to rate


My rating system:
To me a 5 star book is an amazing read that swept me away and left me changed. A 4 star review is a great book that I really loved. 3 stars is still a solid good read, positive and enjoyable. Reviews will cease to be that positive at the 2 star rating-an OK book with serious flaws. And a 1 star-don't bother.

Discover more about this book and author next Sunday when I interview Susanna Calkins.

Be sure to stop by Wednesday to find out what I'm currently reading. If you leave a comment telling me what you're currently reading you'll be entered to win a tote bag from author Duffy Brown.

1 comment:

  1. I have never read Duffy Brown, but it is obviously one of your favorite. I'll have to try it.
    Chris at RPC

    ReplyDelete